With over a billion active users, Instagram has grown to become one of the biggest social media platforms in the world. As new users sign up each day, it’s common for some of them to get a few things wrong when making their profiles, such as the right Instagram profile picture size.
Your profile picture is your primary identity, along with your username. Make sure it’s what you intend users to see. It should also look good and be consistent.
The first step is to make sure you have the right Instagram profile picture size. You can then adjust or design your profile picture accordingly.
In this article, we’ll go over the recommended Instagram profile picture size, along with how you can upload and design it.
Let’s dive right in.
What’s the Recommended Instagram Profile Picture Size?
The recommended Instagram profile picture size is 110 x 110 pixels, and the aspect ratio is 1:1 to make it a perfect square.
Furthermore, you should only use JPG and PNG file formats for your pictures.
Additionally, when you check the profile picture on the desktop, the dimensions should be 180 x 180 pixels. However, keep in mind that these are the minimum recommended dimensions for the profile picture.
You can have higher resolution pictures, but they need to have a 1:1 aspect ratio to ensure it’s a perfect square. Consequently, when your profile picture shows up in a circle, it encompasses all the primary elements of your profile picture.
You can also upload a file that’s 1000 x 1000 pixels. However, Instagram stores all images in 320 x 320-pixel size. That means your high-quality picture will maintain its high-definition look without causing wearing and tearing.
In any case, you should make sure that you maintain the aspect ratio, along with the file size. Your profile picture size shouldn’t exceed 2MB. However, if your picture is above 2MB, you can either crop it to reduce the size or use an online tool like this to do it for you.
Furthermore, if your picture has another file type, you can use this online tool to convert it into a JPG.
Try to keep Instagram’s community guidelines in mind when uploading your profile pictures.
Additional Instagram Dimensions You Should Know About
If you’ve only just started using Instagram, you need to know about some additional Instagram dimensions to make sure you get it right.
After you’re done creating your Instagram profile and have gone through the verifications, you can start customizing your account. You should start by choosing a good username, a relevant profile picture, and a bio, along with some other things like a website.
If you’re confused about setting up a username, you can always use an Instagram name generator. However, keep in mind that there’s a 30-character limit for the username.
Similarly, there’s a 150-character limit for the bio as well.
The following are some of the Instagram dimensions you’ll need to know from here on out:
- Recommended Instagram Post Size – The recommended Instagram post size is 1080 x 1080 pixels. It has to be a JPG or PNG, with a 1:1 aspect ratio. If the size or aspect ratio varies, Instagram will automatically crop your post (you’ll get the option to choose what part stays in the picture).
- Instagram Video Size – The ideal Instagram video size is 1080 x 1080 pixels with a 1:1 aspect ratio. However, it can be as low as 600 x 600 pixels.
- Ideal Instagram Story Dimensions – The recommended Instagram story dimensions are 1080 x 1920 pixels with a 9:16 aspect ratio. Furthermore, it has to be a JPG or PNG and cannot exceed 30MB in size. For videos, it should be MP4 or MOV. The size and duration shouldn’t exceed 4 GB and 15 seconds, respectively.
- Recommended Instagram Ad Size – The ideal Instagram ad size is 1080 x 1080 pixels with a 1:1 aspect ratio.
- Instagram IGTV Dimensions – The recommended IGTV dimensions are 1080 x 1920 pixels with a 9:16 aspect ratio. It works for Instagram Live videos too.
You can use these for a better Instagram experience.
How Do I Change My Instagram Profile Picture?
Once you have a proper understanding of the Instagram profile picture size, you can move on to how you can change your profile picture.
There are no restrictions on when or how many times you can change your profile picture.
Since Instagram is a mobile-first platform, you have to do it on mobile. There are two ways to change your profile picture — through the app or on the browser. However, it’s best to use the app.
The following sections explain the step-by-step process for changing your Instagram profile picture on the app and browser.
Changing your Instagram Profile Picture on the Instagram App
Follow these steps to change your Instagram profile picture on the app:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile phone (log in if you haven’t done so already).
- Depending on whether you’re on Android on iOS, go to your Instagram profile.
- Once there, there are two ways to move forward. (First way) If you tap your current profile picture, the app will prompt you to take a picture with your camera. That way, you can immediately take a picture and set it as your profile picture. (Second way) If you want to choose a picture from your phone’s gallery, tap the Edit Profile button below the bio section.
- On the top, you’ll see the circle that displays your profile picture. Below that, tap the Change Profile Photo button to open this prompt.
- Here you can choose whether you want to set a new profile photo, import one from Facebook, or remove your current profile photo. If you tap New Profile Photo, you can choose a photo from your gallery.
- Once you’ve chosen your picture, tap the arrow in the top right corner.
- Here, you can choose some of the best Instagram filters to apply to your picture. You can also edit your image using various options.
- Simply tap the arrow in the top right corner, and your new Instagram profile picture will get uploaded.
You can repeat this process as many times as you want.
Changing Your Instagram Profile Picture on a Browser
To change your Instagram profile picture on a browser, you have to follow the same steps above.
Just open Instagram on your browser and login if you haven’t done so already. Follow the steps listed above, choose a picture from the file browser, and save it.
It is, however, recommended that you use the app to do so.
Why Using the Right Instagram Profile Picture Size is Important
Your Instagram profile, personal or business, is a visual portfolio of who you are. Everything from the profile picture to your posts defines you and your brand.
Therefore, it’s important to stay consistent and make sure that your posts and pictures are clearly visible. If you want to have a good following, then branding is crucial. Part of the branding process includes understanding and using the right sizes and dimensions.
If you’re setting up your profile, one of the first things you’ll have to do is upload a profile picture. You’ll have to crop it according to Instagram dimension requirements if the size isn’t correct.
Keep in mind that the actual profile picture shows up as a circle. Therefore, even if you follow the right Instagram profile picture size, your picture still might not show up as you want.
That’s why it’s crucial to understand the size and requirements beforehand. That way, you can set your picture’s size accordingly and then adjust your image for the circle crop.
It’s best to design your picture keeping the circle crop in mind. After that, you can set it according to the recommended Instagram profile picture size.
How Can I Design a Great Instagram Profile Picture?
Now that you have a good idea about the right Instagram profile picture size, its importance, and how you can change it, you can move on to designing it. You can edit your profile picture online using Pixelied’s editor.
It’s pretty easy because you can set your dimensions accordingly.
Here’s how you can design your new Instagram profile picture using Pixelied:
Step One – Open Pixelied and Create a Design
Open up Pixelied’s easy-to-use editor on the Pixelied website.
This will take you to the editor with the recommended Instagram profile picture size.
Step Two – Add Relevant Design Elements
After your canvas is open, you can start designing your profile picture. You’ll see a lot of options on the left side. These let you edit, add elements, and do more.
Here’s a complete list of options you have:
- Images – This lets you add stock photos or upload your own.
- Text – You can also add custom text boxes.
- Illustrations – If you have any custom vectors or illustrated characters, you can add them using this option.
- Mockups – This option lets you see how your image would look on different screens and devices.
- Brandify – If you’ve uploaded personal brand assets, you can access them here.
- Elements – This options lets you add various shapes.
- Icons – If you want to add logos and social media icons, you can do so using this option.
- Blend – This option allows you to experiment with color palettes.
You can customize your profile picture however you want, and you can experiment with its opacity, shadows, and other options.
Step Three – Download Your New Instagram Profile Picture
Once you’re done designing your picture, click on the Download button in the top-right corner. You’ll see this window pop up:
Here, you can choose from different file formats. However, it’s best to choose JPG or PNG for Instagram. Furthermore, you can also adjust the quality of the image.
Though, it’s best to keep it at 100. You don’t really have to mess around with the size option for Instagram.
Once done, simply click the Download button and you’ll have your new Instagram profile picture.
Creating an engaging Instagram profile isn’t hard if you’re consistent and original with your content. But, if you want people to remember you, you need to build your brand correctly. It starts with customizing your profile the right way. These profile picture ideas can help you create an eye-catching and creative display picture for Instagram.
You also have to take care of written content, hashtags, and links in Instagram, among other things.
Lastly, keep the Instagram profile picture size in mind, and then move on from there.